Wednesday, March 19, 2014

{ Thought Bubble } The Addiction to Thrifting

Lately, I've been doing a lot of research on Metro Manila thrift shops, mainly because Rina and I are quite worn out with the usual Makati Cinema Square. Don't worry, a quick stop there brightens any thrift-lovers' day considering it's so close to where we both currently work. However, the thirst for more adventure is very real.

The reason why we're so in love with thrift shops is because the finds have so much character and so much to tell you. That, and it's great to own something that you won't see on someone else at the same time as you're wearing it-- trust me, this happened countless of times.

Part of loving thrift shopping is the hunt. It's an adventure in itself to learn how to haggle, to happily stumble upon designer finds, to purchase winter clothing on a budget, and to get creative.

Before I started getting into thrift shopping, I had my doubts. I thought it was gross to wear what strangers have worn, let alone pay for it. However, that can be fixed. It's not like I'd purchase a stain with a shirt on it. Yes, you heard me right: "stain with a shirt on it". Of course, everything goes through quality control and I'm quite the OCD freak myself. It's just that my inner artist can't help but look for inspiration in the past.

Though I have my baggy-event-tshirt-and-basketball-shorts days, I'm very much in love with figuring out what to wear. The whole process of styling, accessorising, and choosing my outfit dispenses a healthy and generous amount of creative energy. And if there's anything I need, it's a continuous use of my creative energy. Yes, I have my breaks and sometimes I channel my energy elsewhere, but one of the easiest ways to channel it is through dressing up.

Granted, I'm a lot more on the costume-side than most people, but that's the whole fun of it! Sometimes you just might want to blend into the crowd and forget where you are, but when inspiration hits to dress a certain way, it hits hard.

Thrifting also made me realise how many styles I have. I'm not only into preppy, or elegant, or costume-y. I'm into whatever my mood or current taste offers. By giving in to those offers and saying 'yes' to them, I'm able to become more versatile. As an actress, thrift shopping helps me a lot. When I begin a role, I thrift shop to find clothes I could rehearse in that make me feel like my character. In my opinion, clothes are a door to finding the character I need to be.

To be an artist, you don't have to only have one medium, there are times when most or all of the media you encounter will work hand-in-hand to bring to life what you envisioned. Basically, it's all about play, and thrift shopping is my way of playing dress up.

1 comment:

  1. I love thrift stores I found there all my treasures!
    xoxo
    Patinka
    patinkasworld.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete